Log for #openttd on 7th April 2018:
Times are UTC Toggle Colours
00:11:07  *** supermop has joined #openttd
00:23:46  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
00:34:08  *** Thedarkb has quit IRC
00:35:58  <supermop> yo
00:40:33  *** chomwitt has quit IRC
00:42:01  <Pikka> yoyo
00:43:29  *** iSoSyS has joined #openttd
00:45:07  <supermop> hows tropical brutalism land?
00:46:03  *** ToBeFree has joined #openttd
00:46:52  <Pikka> they knocked it down to build a casino
00:49:20  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
00:54:35  <supermop> :(
00:56:35  <Pikka>
00:56:43  <Pikka> less than 20 years old when they pulled it down
00:56:43  *** iSoSyS has quit IRC
00:57:07  <Pikka> crazy
00:57:41  <supermop> :(((
00:59:12  *** Thedarkb-X40 has joined #openttd
01:00:11  *** GT has quit IRC
01:25:29  *** glx has quit IRC
01:30:40  *** bwn has quit IRC
01:31:18  *** Thedarkb-X40 has quit IRC
01:41:25  *** Flygon has joined #openttd
01:43:02  *** HerzogDeXtEr has quit IRC
01:48:28  *** bwn has joined #openttd
02:06:56  *** CompuDesktop has joined #openttd
02:07:11  *** Compu has quit IRC
02:27:19  <supermop> whats your ai Pikka ?
02:27:46  <Pikka> expanding civilai
02:27:49  <Pikka> trucks are done
02:27:52  <Pikka> trains are getting there
02:27:57  <Pikka> ships will be easy
02:28:44  <supermop> is it up for testing?
02:30:02  <Pikka> once the trains and ships are done
02:30:15  <Pikka> the old version with just buses and planes is on bananana
02:30:45  <Pikka> currently wrestling with getting it to put the wagons behind the loco :P
02:30:58  <supermop> push only operation?
02:31:16  <Pikka> behind = in the same train as
02:32:24  *** muffindrake2 has joined #openttd
02:34:16  *** muffindrake1 has quit IRC
02:55:31  *** ToBeFree has quit IRC
03:01:53  *** ToffeeYogurtPots_ has quit IRC
03:02:17  *** ToffeeYogurtPots_ has joined #openttd
03:02:26  *** CompuDesktop has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** supermop has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** sim-al2 has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** Cubey has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** mikegrb has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** nahkiss has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** LANJesus has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** Extrems has quit IRC
03:02:26  *** HeyCitizen has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Sylf has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** cHawk has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** ccfreak2k has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** murr4y has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** dxtr has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** techmagus has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** ST2 has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** muffindrake2 has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** bwn has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** rocky1138 has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Ttech has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** nauticalnexus has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** colde has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** greeter has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Pikka has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** dustinm` has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Vadtec has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Maarten has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Tharbakim has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** jinks has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** TinoDidriksen has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** DarkSSHClone has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** APTX| has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Smedles_ has quit IRC
03:02:27  *** Flygon has quit IRC
03:03:47  *** muffindrake2 has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** CompuDesktop has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** bwn has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Flygon has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** supermop has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Pikka has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** sim-al2 has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Cubey has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** mikegrb has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** dustinm` has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Sylf has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** nahkiss has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** LANJesus has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Extrems has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** cHawk has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** HeyCitizen has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** ccfreak2k has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Ttech has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Vadtec has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** nauticalnexus has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** colde has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Maarten has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** DarkSSHClone has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Tharbakim has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** APTX| has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** greeter has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** TinoDidriksen has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** jinks has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** murr4y has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** ST2 has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** techmagus has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** dxtr has joined #openttd
03:03:47  *** Smedles_ has joined #openttd
03:03:58  *** HeyCitizen has quit IRC
03:05:32  <Pikka> also, ugggggggggghhhhhhh... just needed a -1 on AIVehicle.GetNumWagons(train) and all is well. AI builds a train.
03:06:09  *** HeyCitizen has joined #openttd
03:20:05  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
03:20:22  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
05:13:36  *** Cubey has quit IRC
05:14:11  *** supermop has quit IRC
05:43:57  *** Ttech has quit IRC
05:49:26  *** andythenorth has joined #openttd
05:50:26  <andythenorth> o/
05:51:45  <andythenorth> Pikka: AV 9 innit
05:53:11  <Pikka> they're in av8 iirc
05:53:25  <Supercheese> 0.o
05:54:23  *** Ttech has joined #openttd
05:56:28  <Pikka>
05:56:34  <Pikka> CivilAI has choochoos
05:57:22  <Supercheese> Chuchus
05:57:26  <Supercheese> when they crash they give jelly
05:57:43  <Pikka> yes
06:04:27  <andythenorth> such hog
06:04:48  <andythenorth> Pikka: MUs
06:05:02  <andythenorth> how many cars before they turn into 2 MUs?
06:05:02  <Pikka> yes?
06:05:06  <andythenorth> %2 is easy
06:05:15  <andythenorth> but 4 cars might look better
06:05:33  * andythenorth has picture
06:05:34  <Pikka> I don't... if people want two MUs, they can multi-head?
06:05:57  <Pikka> & give them poor enough TE that > 4 cars is a struggle for one unit :P
06:07:42  <andythenorth> oh redmine broke now :P
06:07:58  <andythenorth> can't post pics
06:11:44  <andythenorth> 1 makes 1
06:11:48  <andythenorth> 2 makes 1
06:11:51  <andythenorth> 3 makes 2
06:11:52  <andythenorth> etc
06:13:21  <Pikka> I'd tend towards 3 being 1
06:14:11  <andythenorth> oh good
06:14:15  <andythenorth> that's what I'm about to do :)
06:14:21  * andythenorth was drawing it
06:42:41  <TrueBrain> oops ... migration hit the rate limit ... because I was doing too many other stuff ...
06:42:54  <TrueBrain> it is only at #3000 .. this will take 2 hours more :D
06:43:49  <andythenorth> pedal faster :)
06:55:42  <andythenorth> DMUs done :P
07:02:52  <andythenorth> 16 rows per pax vehicle
07:07:56  <andythenorth> 13 pax vehicles
07:08:07  <andythenorth> @calc 16 * 13
07:08:07  <DorpsGek> andythenorth: 208
07:08:11  <andythenorth> I should automate something :P
07:10:35  <TrueBrain> automation is for the weak
07:10:40  <TrueBrain> real men do everything manual!
07:10:51  <andythenorth> what about manually writing the automation? o_O
07:12:33  <TrueBrain> only if it is done bit by bit
07:22:23  *** CompuDesktop is now known as Compu
07:22:43  *** Compu has joined #openttd
07:24:30  *** sla_ro|master has joined #openttd
07:31:17  * andythenorth doesn't like writing 0s and 1s :(
07:37:12  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
07:48:56  <andythenorth> Pikka: so I did 8/8 railcars
07:49:04  <Pikka> yes
07:49:06  <andythenorth> pls give me reasons not to do 4/8 xor 6/8
07:49:25  <andythenorth> 6/8 + 6/8 + 4/8 van = 1 tile train
07:49:37  <andythenorth> and the forums people seem to be obsessed with pacers
07:49:39  <andythenorth> so I could
07:49:45  <Pikka> but who needs 1 tile trains? are station tiles in short supply?
07:49:52  <andythenorth> well then
07:50:19  <andythenorth> I'd draw 64 spriterows
07:50:24  <andythenorth> and never use them in my game
07:50:39  <andythenorth> but they'd look nice, right? :P
07:52:55  <Pikka> mmm maybe. can you draw anything reasonable at 4/8?
07:53:49  <Pikka> 8/8 is chibi enough for me :P
08:02:20  <andythenorth> hmm
08:02:28  <andythenorth> 4/8 looks great
08:02:34  <andythenorth> but it's total pointless novelty
08:03:02  <andythenorth> and I have 180 vehicles to draw already :P
08:03:10  <Pikka> "come back" to it later
08:04:33  <andythenorth> I have spritesheets full of — views for 'come back to it later' :D
08:11:16  *** Wolf01 has joined #openttd
08:11:19  <TrueBrain> I remember what my issue was with Jenkins ... they explain how their plugins must be configured, but not how you should use the, ... which is a minefield :(
08:13:08  <Wolf01> Moin
08:18:20  <andythenorth> lo Wolf01
08:27:47  <peter1138> I never got auto-building to work yet.
08:28:00  <peter1138> Gotta log in and kick off a build manually :p
08:34:20  <TrueBrain> it turns out that what I want is very difficult :P I just want proper docker-in-docker support ..
08:36:38  <andythenorth> can you run a hypervisor in docker? :P
08:37:24  <TrueBrain> no; but you can connect to the docker tha tis running docker
08:37:51  <andythenorth>
08:37:56  <andythenorth> Turtles All The Way Down
08:38:01  <TrueBrain> but so I have in Configure Tools "Docker" with "Install automatically" .. yet .. it doesnt
08:38:02  <Wolf01> Dockerception
08:41:03  <Wolf01> Mmmm I can't keep the windows open, it seem to live in a kennel... time to put on Sabaton to cover the noise
08:41:34  <andythenorth>
08:41:35  <andythenorth> :P
08:42:04  <andythenorth> whenever I've built an app with turtles in, it's sunk a company
08:42:15  <andythenorth> ok, I did it once
08:42:31  <andythenorth> dashboards that contained modules
08:42:38  <andythenorth> and one of the modules was 'dashboard'
08:43:08  <Wolf01> Ha!
08:43:26  <Wolf01> So I'm not the only one with that insane idea
08:43:46  <Wolf01> I wanted to propose it to my boss next week :P
08:44:56  <peter1138> andythenorth, the second awswer in that link is WTF
08:45:10  <peter1138> 'How would your users like it if they entered their payment details, clicked "Purchase"'
08:45:31  <peter1138> Do they think people are using CI to deploy to live services?!
08:46:06  <andythenorth> hmm
08:46:17  <andythenorth> I once proposed that as a joke at work
08:46:27  <andythenorth> but green-light deploy is a whole thing
08:46:47  <andythenorth> @summon supermop
08:46:47  <DorpsGek> andythenorth: out of chalk
08:47:08  <Wolf01> @DorpsGek use blood
08:47:18  <TrueBrain> that first answer is BULLSHIT :P
08:47:24  <TrueBrain> Docker in Docker uses the Docker API
08:47:28  <TrueBrain> there is no concurrency issue
08:47:29  <TrueBrain> at ALL
08:48:07  <TrueBrain> Docker in Docker doesn't mean running a dockerd in a Docker ... (as that doesnt really work)
08:48:11  <TrueBrain> lolz
08:48:13  <TrueBrain> annyyywaaayyyy
08:48:18  <TrueBrain> someone is wrong on the interwebz :D
08:49:01  <Wolf01> :P
08:49:42  <TrueBrain> owh boy, they really wanted to run dockerd in a docker ..
08:49:47  <TrueBrain> that is just plain stupid and senseless
08:50:33  * andythenorth distracted TB sorry :(
08:51:40  <TrueBrain> :P
08:52:31  <andythenorth> don't like it when devzone is dead :(
08:52:39  <andythenorth> if my SSD dies, I lose all my work, can't push
08:56:21  <TrueBrain> why is devzone dead?
08:56:33  <TrueBrain> and create a github project :P
08:56:35  <TrueBrain> private if youhave to
08:56:43  <andythenorth> fair idea
08:56:50  <andythenorth> can github do mercurial?
08:57:21  <TrueBrain> no
08:57:25  <TrueBrain> stop doing mercurial ffs
08:57:35  <andythenorth> can't, the compile farm requires it
08:57:45  <TrueBrain> things to fix, I hear ..
08:57:49  <andythenorth> I can't even do mercurial properly :P
08:58:30  <andythenorth> I am waiting for you to win
08:58:44  <andythenorth> then we can put grf-building-as-a-service on openttd CF :P
08:58:50  <andythenorth> and github the grfs
08:58:54  <TrueBrain> would be nice
08:59:03  *** Progman has joined #openttd
08:59:05  <TrueBrain> create a Docker that can do that
08:59:06  <andythenorth> provide a docker image
08:59:10  <TrueBrain> ;)
08:59:12  <andythenorth> people can use the docker for dev as well
08:59:15  <andythenorth> if they have stupid platforms
08:59:29  <andythenorth> then we can stop building windows binary for nmlc
08:59:30  *** Gja has joined #openttd
08:59:54  <TrueBrain> so make a Docker that builds grfs from nmls :)
09:00:36  * andythenorth finds Docker docs
09:01:14  <andythenorth> ok not today, but soon
09:01:17  <LordAro> docker? docker docker. docker.
09:01:23  <andythenorth> I need to learn docker for work I think
09:01:30  <andythenorth> we should maybe be using it
09:01:44  <andythenorth> what's it for? :P
09:01:50  * LordAro uses lxc containers
09:02:02  <LordAro> y'know, if you wanted an alternative
09:02:15  <TrueBrain> you know, if you want to do the same but act like you are doing something else :P
09:02:18  * andythenorth is confused what docker is, because I've seen some very odd claims about it on the internet
09:02:30  <TrueBrain> chroot++
09:02:32  <TrueBrain> jails+++
09:02:35  <andythenorth> oh it's just jails
09:02:36  <andythenorth> ok
09:02:37  <TrueBrain> namespacing ftw
09:02:39  <andythenorth> we used to use jails
09:02:46  <andythenorth> then we dropped FreeBSD
09:02:54  <TrueBrain> jails only seperated filesystem, and a bit processes
09:03:01  <TrueBrain> docker namespaces nearly everything
09:03:10  <TrueBrain> and if you add cgroups, even resources can be tuned
09:03:12  <andythenorth> it's not immune to stupid people though?
09:03:20  <andythenorth> i.e. javascript developers
09:03:20  <TrueBrain> so a VM without a separate kernel
09:03:33  <andythenorth> how isolated is it?
09:03:40  <TrueBrain> lot of stupid people; not much any technique solves about that :D
09:03:50  <andythenorth> I've seen odd claims that docker containers are 'secure'
09:03:52  <TrueBrain> in principle, anything that runs in a Docker cannot escape to the host
09:03:56  <TrueBrain> but ... that is not completely true
09:04:12  <TrueBrain> Docker in the end runs as 'root' process on the host system
09:04:23  <TrueBrain> if you can influence how your docker is started, you can do anything
09:04:27  <TrueBrain> example, you can volume mount
09:04:28  <peter1138> Much like with kvm :p
09:04:36  <TrueBrain> much like any host/guest system
09:04:48  <TrueBrain> but here in a Dockerfile you define these things
09:04:52  <TrueBrain> so it can go unnoticed
09:04:54  <andythenorth> so Docker beat Vagrant
09:04:56  <peter1138> I remember early Linux containers, before lxc. I shut down a guest, and it shut down the whole machine.
09:04:59  <TrueBrain> Vagrant is dead, yes
09:05:01  <TrueBrain> Docker won :P
09:05:04  <andythenorth> we were supposed to switch to Vagrant for dev
09:05:06  <andythenorth> but we hated the concept
09:05:08  <peter1138> Much like git won over mercurial.
09:05:16  <TrueBrain> dont use Vagrant ... it is only hurt
09:05:26  <TrueBrain> Docker For Windows is basically Vagrant btw
09:05:29  <andythenorth> every 2 weeks we have some painful build issue on local machines in dev
09:05:33  <TrueBrain> as it starts VirtualBox to start Ubuntu to run Docker :D
09:05:39  <peter1138> o_O
09:05:47  <andythenorth> so the 'solution' was to switch everything Vagrant, and have painful issues for every line of code
09:05:53  <andythenorth> and have to edit in emacs
09:06:03  <TrueBrain> yes; stupid idea :D (sorry, but it is)
09:06:04  <andythenorth> 'because it would be predictable'
09:06:04  <peter1138> I should probably read up on how to deploy my own docker stuff.
09:06:10  <TrueBrain> if you want reproducable builds, use Docker
09:06:16  <andythenorth> we do
09:06:25  <peter1138> Then again, currently I use kvm for full isolation anyway.
09:06:34  <andythenorth> but we're not sure whether we want reproducible containers, or full Cent OS images
09:07:05  <peter1138> But to deploy a generic kvm guest and then deploy a docker inside would be useful for reproducability, indeed.
09:07:21  <andythenorth> so how do I dev inside a docker container?
09:07:24  <TrueBrain> what I like about Docker is how I use it for the CF now .. somewhere else the steps are defined what should happen .. and everyone running that container the same stuff will happen .. so if something breaks .. it either breaks for all, or it is a local issue :D
09:07:27  <andythenorth> I have to switch all my tools to shell?
09:07:31  <TrueBrain> normally, you do not
09:07:32  <peter1138> So much faffing about configuring each kvm guest to be a specific machine.
09:07:33  <andythenorth> emacs and stuff?
09:07:41  <TrueBrain> you develop on your host, how ever you like
09:07:46  <andythenorth> or we just build dockers for deploy?
09:07:47  <TrueBrain> you use Docker to run what-ever you work on
09:07:49  <andythenorth> it's part of pipeline?
09:08:00  <TrueBrain> so, for example, I have used it to start Django with my website
09:08:02  <TrueBrain> have it autoloading
09:08:06  <TrueBrain> autoreloading
09:08:10  <TrueBrain> so I can edit on myhost system
09:08:16  <TrueBrain> and refresh my page
09:08:25  <andythenorth> sounds plausible
09:08:29  <andythenorth> is it slow?
09:08:36  <TrueBrain> on linux, if you do 'ps aux' you see the docker processes
09:08:44  <TrueBrain> no; for most things it is near-host-speed
09:08:51  <TrueBrain> a few things are slow .. for example TCP port forwarding
09:08:55  <TrueBrain> (there is a proxy in between)
09:09:07  <TrueBrain> Docker is just a fancy shell around lxc, which is part of the kernel
09:09:09  <andythenorth> our local machines are faster than the production VMs anyway, going slower might be more realistic :P
09:09:22  <TrueBrain> it is  nothing special tbh
09:09:24  <TrueBrain> just organized
09:09:29  <TrueBrain> (and popular)
09:10:30  <andythenorth> how do docker containers interact with orchestration (Ansible, etc)?
09:10:37  <andythenorth> are they frozen and never changed?
09:10:51  <TrueBrain> a docker image is build via a Dockerfile
09:11:01  <TrueBrain> and a bit depending on what you want, Dockers are not persistant
09:11:10  <TrueBrain> you mostly mount a volume from your host system in a docker
09:11:12  <TrueBrain> (to get files there)
09:11:15  <andythenorth> ok
09:11:17  <TrueBrain> or on build put those files in there already
09:11:30  <TrueBrain> there are ways of using Ansible with Docker .. but it is a bit 2 different worlds
09:11:48  <andythenorth> orchestration isn't needed if you have images?
09:12:20  <TrueBrain> depends on your goal :D No generic answer for that :)
09:13:34  <andythenorth> we use Ansible for (1) machine builds  package upgrades (2) deploying / upgrading our apps (3) gathering facts our app instances in production
09:13:46  <andythenorth> probably (1) goes away with Docker
09:14:00  <andythenorth> maybe (2)
09:14:05  <TrueBrain> depending on your goal etc, you can replace your whole CI/CD with Docker
09:14:15  <TrueBrain> kubinetes (I think I spelled that correctly) is an example
09:14:40  <TrueBrain> CoreOS (which stricly seen runs rkt, not docker .. but they are similar in idea) has a lot written about stuff like that
09:15:03  <andythenorth> ha
09:15:18  * andythenorth will wait for something to win there :P
09:15:41  <andythenorth> we've adopted tech on the basis of blog posts before :P
09:15:46  <TrueBrain> lol ... I was wondering why my Jenkins didnt do what I expected ... I configured 2 things that do the same .. I liked one .. so I removed it .. and surprised it no longer works :D
09:15:57  <andythenorth> I now prefer to have "nothing" compared to "losing tech"
09:18:49  <TrueBrain> ha, this now works :D LOL! :D
09:18:54  <TrueBrain> okay .. this makes the CF a lot safer
09:19:08  <TrueBrain> every job spins up a new Docker which is the Jenkins agent, which spins up other dockers to do what-eer I tell it to do
09:20:00  <TrueBrain> now the next issue .. it assumes the docker host can write files it can read, Docker Pipeline in Jenkins
09:20:03  <TrueBrain> that is unexpected :P
09:22:48  *** HerzogDeXtEr has joined #openttd
09:25:59  <TrueBrain> anyway, now first some other job to preform ...
09:26:04  <TrueBrain> tam tam tammmmm
09:27:00  <TrueBrain> all issues arrived on the other side
09:27:08  <TrueBrain> guess it is time to put some other stuff in read-only
09:27:20  <TrueBrain> or shall I wait for frosch123 to arrive ...
09:35:11  <TrueBrain> eints is disabled
09:35:33  <TrueBrain> well, after the restart, anyway :D
09:36:22  <TrueBrain> how to disallow svn commit .. hmm
09:36:25  <TrueBrain> we do that via ssh ..
09:38:26  <andythenorth> bbl
09:38:27  *** andythenorth has left #openttd
09:40:32  <TrueBrain> there we go, svn read-only
09:40:40  <Wolf01> :O
09:40:51  <TrueBrain> now final conversion ..
09:41:28  <Wolf01> Do you have a backup?
09:41:37  <TrueBrain> a backup of what?
09:41:51  <Wolf01> Of the entire server
09:42:00  <TrueBrain> why?
09:42:05  <Wolf01> Even the hardware :P
09:42:54  <TrueBrain> backups with no purpose are no backups worth your while
09:43:33  <Wolf01> In every company I worked we had a lot of ability to fuck up things, badly
09:43:51  <Wolf01> Once was my fault
09:44:04  <TrueBrain> you always have a lot of ways to fuck things up
09:44:13  <TrueBrain> but last I read, making things read-only only makes that window smaller :D
09:44:46  <TrueBrain> 83 MiB of git daa
09:44:48  <TrueBrain> not bad
09:46:06  <Wolf01> Ok, 1.5 hours of doing nothing could be enough... now I should do something
09:48:11  *** Wormnest has joined #openttd
09:53:09  <TrueBrain> okay .. think this is all how it should be ..
09:57:55  <TrueBrain>
10:00:58  *** Cubey has joined #openttd
10:05:51  <peter1138> Is it live yet?
10:06:03  <peter1138> How do devs commit? :p
10:06:58  *** iSoSyS has joined #openttd
10:07:31  <TrueBrain> will tell you just fine
10:08:24  <TrueBrain> someone needs to go through the wiki and update all the links and insturctions there :)
10:08:42  <peter1138> Not really. We had git for years, and of course committing to that was a no-no (probably not even possible.)
10:11:10  <TrueBrain> we had git; we now have github
10:11:20  <TrueBrain> google tells you all about how github works, and how you can work with it
10:11:37  <TrueBrain> for any further instructions, frosch123 is your man :)
10:11:41  <peter1138> le sigh
10:11:48  <peter1138> So we still use svn then.
10:12:08  <TrueBrain> svn is in read-only
10:12:52  <peter1138> This is far more awkward than it needs to be.
10:13:21  *** Cubey has quit IRC
10:14:27  <peter1138> I'm guessing the answer to my question "How do devs commit?" is actually "instead of commiting to svn you now commit to github" or something like that. But you just tell me to Google it.
10:18:07  <TrueBrain> @op
10:18:07  *** DorpsGek sets mode: +o TrueBrain
10:18:48  *** TrueBrain changes topic to "1.8.0 | | Website: * (translator: translator, server list: servers, wiki: wiki, release info: finger) | Don't ask to ask, just ask | 'Latest' is not a valid version, 'Most recent' neither | English only | Logs: @logs | if this channel is really spammy"
10:18:55  <TrueBrain> @deop
10:18:55  *** DorpsGek sets mode: -o TrueBrain
10:20:01  <TrueBrain> updated frontpage, eints is read-only, flyspray has the correct notice, svn is read-only, http:// to vcs URLs point to github, IRC topics update .. hmm .. am I missing something ...
10:22:40  <TrueBrain> permissions on github should be okay too ..
10:22:46  <TrueBrain> that only leaves CI
10:25:26  <peter1138> Are the -Codechange: -Fix: etc commit messages still enforced?
10:27:11  <TrueBrain> hmm, pre-commit-hook .. hmm
10:28:32  *** Gja has quit IRC
10:32:52  <Pikka> how should I name AI trains?
10:33:29  <Pikka> buses are "Townname Number", planes are "Spirit of Townname", etc... trains are little industrial shunts to factories.
10:34:24  <Pikka> cutesy shunter names? Mercury, Sooty, etc? Hmm...
10:35:23  *** frosch123 has joined #openttd
10:38:02  <Wolf01> Quak
10:38:19  <TrueBrain> frosch123: it is done
10:43:04  <frosch123> yay,work being done while i am asleep :)
10:47:19  <frosch123> i replaced the bug tracker links in the 1.8.0 and RC1 news items
10:48:06  <TrueBrain> good :)
10:48:25  <frosch123> also triggered a restart of the silly redmine vm
10:48:30  <frosch123> if you care :p
10:48:48  <TrueBrain> I already said to andy, he should make a docker to create grfs from nmls
10:49:42  <TrueBrain> right, lunch time; after that, more fiddling with Jenkins and Docker :)
10:50:01  <frosch123> so, did anyone figure out whether windows git can run python commit hooks, or only perl, or do we not care about windows folks?
10:50:37  <TrueBrain> no clue
10:50:47  <TrueBrain> what we can do, how-ever, is add to the CI that he does pre-commit validation
10:50:49  <TrueBrain> a bit late
10:50:52  <TrueBrain> but more generic?
10:51:15  <frosch123> yes, i already assumed that pre-push commit hook is fine in python
11:01:40  <LordAro> i think the CI is probably the best way to go
11:01:51  <LordAro> assuming you want to continue enforcing commit messages
11:01:57  <frosch123> definitely
11:02:04  *** Gja has joined #openttd
11:02:15  <frosch123> also indention and whitespace
11:03:03  <LordAro> identation is a bit harder, although checking for tabs instead of spaces seems reasonable
11:03:41  <frosch123> well, essentially the same as the svn hook did before
11:03:49  <frosch123> everything for the push check
11:04:07  <frosch123> if possible also checks for commit so people with usable dev environment get an earlier notice
11:04:47  <LordAro> fair
11:05:16  <frosch123> not sure whether gh issues should get a prefix or not
11:05:20  <LordAro> shouldn't be too difficult to say "copy the contents of this folder into hooks directory"
11:05:26  <LordAro> or however git hooks actually work
11:05:36  <frosch123> "-Fix [gh#123]" vs "-Fix [#123]"
11:05:58  <frosch123> LordAro: it's easy on linux
11:06:01  <LordAro> you'll need to drop the [] if you want autolinking
11:06:21  <frosch123> you can just assume presence of python and stuff
11:09:15  <Eddi|zuHause> <andythenorth> %2 is easy <-- there's no reason why you shouldn't be capable of doing %3 or %4
11:11:10  <TrueBrain> frosch123: GH really like #123
11:11:14  <TrueBrain> it doesnt like GH#123
11:11:43  <TrueBrain> and if you can supply a Docker image which does pre-commit/post-commit validation, I can hook it up in the CI
11:11:52  <TrueBrain> see how :)
11:12:15  <frosch123> TrueBrain: looks like i have no read access to the svn hook for c&p
11:12:24  <TrueBrain> haha, I had to disable SSH yes :D
11:14:28  <TrueBrain> frosch123: a tar.gz in your devs home folder
11:14:47  <frosch123> thanks :)
11:15:26  <TrueBrain> was a bit annoying .. you cannot make a subversion read-only if people can ssh to the box :D
11:15:53  <frosch123> chmod not enough?
11:16:17  <TrueBrain> not while keeping read mode
11:16:22  <Eddi|zuHause> mount -o ro?
11:16:26  <TrueBrain> that does work
11:16:28  <TrueBrain> :P
11:23:19  *** sla_ro|master has quit IRC
11:25:37  <Eddi|zuHause> but how does that work better than chmod a-w?
11:26:05  <TrueBrain> subversion is .. euh .... well .. weird; every Nth commit it makes a folder where he doesnt preserve the permissions set
11:26:17  <TrueBrain> so on regular intervals scripts run to fix permissions
11:26:23  <TrueBrain> and hoping I get them all is .. euh ..
11:26:29  <TrueBrain> well .. I rather disable ssh :)
11:27:03  <TrueBrain> the other issue is that subversion wants to write to some folders to read data
11:27:07  <TrueBrain> (lock-files, I always assumed)
11:27:34  <TrueBrain> rather safe than sorry :)
11:28:07  <Eddi|zuHause> which brings us back to how "ro" works then?
11:28:25  <TrueBrain> good point
11:28:27  <TrueBrain> it wouldnt
11:40:27  <Wolf01> TB: why not put SVN in read only by setting the permissions in the svn config?
11:40:48  <Wolf01> Just put "* r"
11:40:49  <frosch123> it doesn't really matter
11:41:36  *** synchris has joined #openttd
11:44:09  <TrueBrain> Wolf01: we dont use svn protocol; we use svn+ssh
11:44:15  <TrueBrain> it ignores the authz file completely
11:44:20  <Wolf01> Mmmh
11:44:21  <TrueBrain> (as it reads * = r :P)
11:44:35  <TrueBrain> and yeah, it really doesnt matter :)
11:44:41  <TrueBrain> OpenTTD runs in many many VMs
11:44:50  <TrueBrain> SVN is the only thing running on the VM I disabled SSH of
11:57:11  *** Thedarkb-X40 has joined #openttd
11:57:44  <TrueBrain> so badly documented, this pipeline stuff of Jenkins :( Snippets of examples .. that is it
12:00:11  *** HerzogDeXtEr has quit IRC
12:06:45  *** HerzogDeXtEr has joined #openttd
12:09:09  *** HerzogDeXtEr has quit IRC
12:10:51  *** Thedarkb has joined #openttd
12:16:05  *** HerzogDeXtEr has joined #openttd
12:20:40  <LANJesus> so.. poking around the admin interface i noticed the admin Poll command is supposed to send the update type as a uint8, but it sends the update type as a uint16 in the server Protocol packet
12:20:45  <LANJesus> what's up with that guys?
12:21:13  <peter1138> What's an admin interface?
12:24:01  <LANJesus> src/network/network_admin.cpp that stuff
12:24:47  *** andythenorth has joined #openttd
12:25:01  *** andythenorth has joined #openttd
12:25:14  <andythenorth> Pikka: QLD set is 'Caning It' no?
12:25:26  <LANJesus> specifically "AdminUpdateType type = (AdminUpdateType)p->Recv_uint8();"
12:25:40  <Pikka> hopefully not, andy
12:25:52  <andythenorth> Brisvegas Nights?
12:26:06  <TrueBrain> LANJesus: I expect a pull request no later than tomorrow ;)
12:26:11  * andythenorth should go back to drawing mail cars eh :P
12:26:27  <LANJesus> TrueBrain: i can do that if you want, but it'd break things and change the admin protocol
12:26:36  <TrueBrain> or change the documentation? :D
12:26:47  <LANJesus> it'd break all the admin interfaces : P
12:26:55  <LANJesus> looks like that hasn't changed since 2014
12:26:56  <TrueBrain> documentation never broke anything! :P
12:27:10  <LANJesus> the documentation for this is severely lacking
12:27:21  <TrueBrain> it used to be fully documented :)
12:27:26  <LANJesus> where?
12:27:30  *** Wormnest_ has joined #openttd
12:27:36  <TrueBrain> but I am a bit lost .. you say it is wrong, but you cannot fix it :P I am missing apiece of the puzzle
12:27:44  <LANJesus> the code might be documented but the admin protocol is uh... lolz
12:27:56  <LANJesus> i can fix it but it'd break a bunch of things.
12:28:07  <TrueBrain> so it isnt broken?
12:28:10  <LANJesus> probably better to fix when the protocol needs to be changed
12:28:14  <LANJesus> it's inconsistent.
12:28:43  <LANJesus> eg, server gives me a tomato, then tells me to stick a tomato in its potato socket later.
12:28:56  <TrueBrain> on the wiki, search for network protocol; that used to describe everything .. but I see it no longer does :)
12:29:00  <andythenorth> where is supermop? :P
12:29:12  <TrueBrain> andythenorth: you really expect us to answer that? :D
12:29:17  <peter1138> LANJesus, fix the documentation, IK think :-)
12:29:17  <LANJesus> i'm writing yet another admin interface ; )
12:29:19  <peter1138> -K
12:29:35  <andythenorth> TrueBrain: maybe
12:29:44  <peter1138> I changed an interface the other day. I hope nothing breaks :p
12:30:05  <andythenorth> any kittens died?
12:30:33  <peter1138> Well the change is not live yet.
12:30:49  <frosch123> LANJesus: the documentation is in docs/admin_network.txt
12:30:51  <LANJesus> i found a crappy text file. points me at a page that doesn't exist. i assume it means
12:31:00  <peter1138> But basically the interface only worked due to a bug in the framework. Now the framework is fixed, the interface had to be updated cos it was technically invalid.
12:31:02  <frosch123> there are also several implemenations in java, python, ...
12:31:40  <LANJesus> frosch123: didn't like them. i'm making my own with blackjack and hookers
12:31:54  <peter1138> LANJesus, we literally just changed to github, so yeah, not all the links have been updated yet :-)
12:32:06  <LANJesus> congratulations.
12:32:19  <LANJesus> i've been working on this for about three weeks, off and on
12:32:34  <LANJesus> also working on my network coding chops
12:32:39  <LANJesus> and async programming. bleh
12:32:50  <frosch123> <- TrueBrain, peter1138: opinions?
12:33:42  <LANJesus> example output: Chat Packet: {"ActionTypeCode":"Chat","DestinationTypeCode":"Broadcast","ClientId":1,"Message":"GREETINGS HUMAN","Money":0}
12:33:56  *** Wormnest has quit IRC
12:34:25  <TrueBrain> frosch123: I am a bit used to C these days
12:34:29  <TrueBrain> the - doesnt add anything for me
12:34:30  <TrueBrain> just noise
12:35:27  <peter1138> It was just to stop "stuff" type commit messages anyway ;p
12:35:42  <peter1138> But that guy left anyway.
12:36:00  <TrueBrain> that is true; it was literally created for 1 person
12:36:15  <LANJesus> are  you guys familiar with squashing and rebasing?
12:36:29  <frosch123> yes, but now i want to reject "make cb123 do what my realism bs grf need" :p
12:36:40  <LANJesus> useful for intermediate commits on your local repo
12:36:50  <peter1138> frosch123, yeah it is useful to have a standard.
12:36:55  <LANJesus> when you want to merge back to the main branch
12:37:08  <peter1138> We've been using git for years, just not as the main repo.
12:37:23  <peter1138> Except for the strange people who settled on mercurial.
12:37:38  <LANJesus> i'm allergic to hg
12:37:43  <TrueBrain> oeh, it seems I have something that looks like a CI working :D
12:37:50  <peter1138> \o/
12:37:51  <TrueBrain> just not a lot of control .. as this plugin really does everything
12:38:05  <LANJesus> congratulations!
12:38:28  <LordAro> woo!
12:38:46  <LordAro> frosch123: i think i like C best as well
12:39:03  <LordAro> alberth & i dropped the dash for frct as well
12:39:12  <frosch123> so "fix" in front of all issues for the closing, hashes just as it
12:39:28  <frosch123> ah, frct, another project to eyeball for examples
12:39:32  <LANJesus> does github support # links to issues directly?
12:40:11  <frosch123> yes, and with certain keyword combinations it also closes them when merging to main branch
12:40:11  <LordAro> TrueBrain: frosch123: can't remember if i told you about openage - vast amounts of (python) CI checkers
12:40:28  <LordAro> thry go as far as checking the copyright in the files
12:40:31  <TrueBrain> put them in a docker and make us happy? :D
12:40:52  <frosch123> LordAro: i think openttd is the only project in the world doing tab indention
12:41:12  <peter1138> Was there an easy way to switch to the new repo is should I just do a new clone?
12:41:25  *** Gja has quit IRC
12:41:53  <andythenorth> Pikka: splitting mail and freight liveries on mail cars is stupid?
12:42:09  <Pikka> I wouldn't
12:42:15  <frosch123> peter1138: i pulled both, added tags to the latest identical revisions
12:42:15  <andythenorth> too much drawing
12:42:35  <Pikka> and players will tend to use them for "mail-like" freight, I would think... they'd expect them to match
12:42:36  <frosch123> and then merged them into the deprecated branch
12:42:54  <frosch123> then i can rebase onto the deprecated head and the move over to the new branch
12:43:03  <TrueBrain> use git rebase --onto
12:43:13  <TrueBrain> allows you to give a total of 3 revisions
12:44:20  <peter1138> k
12:44:28  <peter1138> Hmm... /* $Id$ */
12:44:33  <andythenorth> also if they have a freight livery, they're just fast boxcars eh
12:44:33  <peter1138> Kinda pointless now.
12:44:41  <andythenorth> k
12:44:44  <TrueBrain> frosch123: any problem if I add Jenkinsfile to the repo? :)
12:44:45  <LANJesus> whomp. i now have a fork of OpenTTD-Deprecated. w/e
12:44:55  <LANJesus> i'll live.
12:44:57  <peter1138> Heh
12:45:50  <Wolf01> LANJesus: everyone does :P
12:46:29  <LANJesus> J0anJosep has both
12:47:31  <frosch123> hmm, how do i point the remote master branch to a different branch though...
12:48:32  <TrueBrain> what do you mean?
12:48:40  <TrueBrain> get the branch local and push it to another place?
12:48:50  <frosch123> nah, i am converting my github fork
12:49:01  <frosch123>
12:49:04  <TrueBrain> git remote rename origin deprecated
12:49:08  <frosch123> i guess i should just fork new
12:49:14  <TrueBrain> yup
12:49:22  <TrueBrain> rename your current
12:49:23  <TrueBrain> fork new
12:49:25  <LANJesus> add new remote, merge it into existing ?
12:49:27  <TrueBrain> make a local git with both as remote
12:49:33  <TrueBrain> rebase onto
12:49:34  <TrueBrain> push
12:49:41  <LANJesus> yeah that
12:49:44  <frosch123> i have both local
12:49:50  <LANJesus> in the same repo?
12:50:06  <TrueBrain> you have to fork both
12:50:06  <frosch123> yes, and i move the local master
12:50:14  <LANJesus> go to your fork, add the new repo as an additional remote
12:50:30  <LANJesus> rename your old one to "old" or something, call the new one origin
12:51:05  <LANJesus> meh, you'll figure it out. peace.
12:52:34  <TrueBrain> I would suggest: go to GitHub, rename your fork to OpenTTD-Deprecated, fork OpenTTD/OpenTTD, checkout the new fork of OpenTTD, add a remote to your forked OpenTTD-Deprecated
12:52:41  <TrueBrain> git rebase onto for the branches you want
12:52:48  <TrueBrain> and push to your forked OpenTTD
12:53:14  <TrueBrain> as I dont think GitHub otherwise will see that you changed fork-location
12:55:41  <peter1138> Meh, I don't appear to have a repo with anything else in it, so just doing a fresh clone anyway.
12:55:50  <peter1138> I had some stuff on my SSD which died ;(
12:56:05  <peter1138> I think I lost the patch which finished the game.
12:57:23  <andythenorth> oops
13:00:11  <TrueBrain> Bamboo ran out of memory; it didnt fit next to Jenkins :D
13:00:12  <TrueBrain> oops :D
13:00:22  <peter1138> Bloody java.
13:00:37  <LordAro> ha
13:01:25  *** ZexaronS has joined #openttd
13:03:27  <LordAro> TrueBrain: maybe dorpsgek should add the translators email address
13:05:27  <TrueBrain> for the icon! :P
13:05:50  <TrueBrain> they tell me there is a visual pipeline editor in Jenkins
13:05:56  <TrueBrain> just all ways that MIGHT lead to it, I get errors
13:07:05  <TrueBrain> I make a file://, and it tells me: Saving Pipelines is not supported using http/https
13:07:08  <TrueBrain> yes .. I am using file ..
13:07:09  <TrueBrain> ffs
13:08:19  * peter1138 does the most important thing: updated my profile image on github :p
13:10:07  <andythenorth> is important
13:10:23  <LordAro> TrueBrain: exactly!
13:12:37  <TrueBrain> ah, found a way to get the editor .. but now I cannot see the resulting Jenkinsfile
13:12:38  <TrueBrain> FAIL
13:12:40  <TrueBrain> so much FAIL
13:16:45  *** supermop has joined #openttd
13:16:50  <TrueBrain> ANDY!
13:16:52  <TrueBrain> HE HAS ARRIVED
13:18:29  *** ZexaronS has quit IRC
13:23:03  *** Thedarkb has quit IRC
13:30:07  <andythenorth> lo supermop
13:30:25  <andythenorth> TrueBrain is even noisier than me
13:30:35  <andythenorth> if he was here a lot, he would beat my channel line count
13:30:38  <Wolf01> How do I rebase via github?
13:31:07  <TrueBrain> Wolf01: check around 14:52 (currently 15:30)
13:31:13  <TrueBrain> still fits on my screen
13:34:28  *** synchris_ has joined #openttd
13:35:03  <andythenorth> bbl
13:35:05  *** andythenorth has quit IRC
13:36:23  *** sla_ro|master has joined #openttd
13:36:27  *** synchris has quit IRC
13:39:07  <supermop> yo
13:41:27  *** Zexaron has joined #openttd
13:50:18  <TrueBrain> just wasted 15 minutes because I shadowed a variable ... and no indication of that .. ugh
13:50:20  <peter1138> Bah, how do I add the windows useful stuff to my project without making the project files change :p
13:52:28  <Wolf01> So I now have ottddepr into my ottd clone, must I run "git rebase --onto mybranch --root ottddepr/mybranch"?
13:53:27  <TrueBrain> sounds about right
13:53:37  <TrueBrain> best thing about git, you cannot go wrong if you just did a fresh clone
13:53:41  <TrueBrain> :D
13:53:52  <TrueBrain> I didnt use --root btw
13:55:10  <TrueBrain> git rebase --onto mybranch ottddepr/master ottddepr/mybranch
13:55:19  <Wolf01> Right
13:55:24  <TrueBrain> is what I think you should do; but the git manual has pretty pictures
13:55:40  <TrueBrain> git rebase --onto master next topic
13:55:54  <TrueBrain> master is new master, next is old master, topic is HEAD
13:56:11  <TrueBrain> that takes the commits van old master .. HEAD
13:56:14  <TrueBrain> and puts it on new master
13:56:23  <TrueBrain> (you can also just cherry-pick btw)
13:56:39  <Wolf01> Hmm, fatal: needed a single revision
13:58:26  <Wolf01> I never understood this thing, I've done it in the past with SVN
13:58:51  <TrueBrain> if in doubt, checkout master from new OpenTTD repo, add remote to your old repo, and cherry-pick your commits
13:58:56  <TrueBrain> this works if the amount to cherry-pick is low
13:59:03  <TrueBrain> rebase --onto does the same, just bulky
14:00:00  <Wolf01> Oh, I must do it reversed, I might be a special kind of stupid
14:00:50  <frosch123> Wolf01: you can also pull from, then rebase on master-deprecated and then rebase on master
14:01:16  <frosch123> (the head of master-deprecated is the merge of both old and new head)
14:01:25  <Wolf01> Eh, I need to import my feature branches :P
14:02:17  <Wolf01> Just 5 branches
14:02:22  <TrueBrain> frosch123: what have you done with your repo :P I assume you didnt rebase your feature branches yet? :D
14:02:36  <TrueBrain> behind: 27k commits, ahead: 27k commits :D
14:02:47  <frosch123> it contains both repositories
14:02:59  <frosch123> master is new master
14:03:04  <frosch123> master-deprecated is merge of both
14:03:12  <TrueBrain> how does merging help?
14:03:12  <frosch123> most stale branches are in the old branch
14:03:25  <frosch123> it links the chains
14:03:45  <TrueBrain> I understand what it does; but how does it help?
14:03:54  <frosch123> you can rebase on the old branch as normal, then switchover to the new one without any intermediate changes
14:04:05  <frosch123> TrueBrain: you do not need to lookup the hash in the new branch
14:04:18  <TrueBrain> for branches you dont want to rebase to HEAD?
14:05:00  <frosch123> yes, but i first want to rebase to HEAD of old branch
14:05:07  <TrueBrain> ofc
14:05:11  <frosch123> that should give you most automatic support
14:05:21  <TrueBrain> funny how git does so many shit for us :D
14:06:37  <Wolf01> Meh, if github explodes then it's my fault
14:11:46  <Wolf01> But must I create the branches first on the new repo?
14:12:02  <Wolf01> I can't select the branches I want as destination
14:12:22  <TrueBrain> I have no clue where you got stuck, so that is not really possible to answer :(
14:12:28  <Wolf01> Or maybe I'm still thinking in reverse
14:12:42  <TrueBrain> you made a new fork? you cloned that locally? you added the old fork as a remote?
14:12:47  <Wolf01> YEs
14:12:52  <TrueBrain> so then something like this:
14:12:58  <TrueBrain> git checkout origin/master -b my-branch
14:13:10  <TrueBrain> git rebase --onto origin/master old/master old/my-branch
14:13:28  <TrueBrain> or what frosch123 says .. as that works too he says :D
14:15:05  <Wolf01> Shit, I have conflicts, I should sync the old branches
14:15:24  <TrueBrain> yes; the assumption is that all branches are up-to-date
14:18:51  <Wolf01> Meh, now I have 22k changes and I can't pull
14:19:08  <Wolf01> Reset doesn't seem to work
14:19:27  <Wolf01> Fresh clone in 3...2...1
14:19:31  <TrueBrain> exactly :)
14:19:46  <TrueBrain> first clone your deprecated fork
14:19:47  <frosch123> sounds like andy using hg
14:19:49  <TrueBrain> and get that up to speed :)
14:24:20  <Wolf01> I'll finish it tomorrow, maybe, now I must go
14:24:30  <Wolf01> Bye
14:24:32  *** Wolf01 has quit IRC
14:27:28  <TrueBrain> okay, CI finally triggers how I expect him to
14:34:22  <TrueBrain> 7 minutes and 34 seconds to do CI validation
14:34:23  <TrueBrain> lol
14:34:36  <TrueBrain> I guess I have to install a shared ccache or something
14:37:20  <LordAro> that's not too bad really
14:37:27  <LordAro> 1 core, i guess?
14:37:36  <TrueBrain> yeah, and 2 builds
14:37:52  <TrueBrain> frosch123: tomorrow I will first look into eints; but I think I need a git replacement for
14:38:04  <LordAro> why 2 builds?
14:38:21  <TrueBrain> 64bit and 32bit
14:39:19  <LordAro> ah right
14:39:43  <LordAro> you going to bother doing a windows build at the same time?
14:39:53  <LordAro> or just nightlies, rather than PRs?
14:40:17  <TrueBrain> both
14:40:26  <TrueBrain> but .. Windows via Docker is ......
14:41:13  <LordAro> mm...
14:41:30  <LordAro> looked at appveyor at all?
14:41:45  <LordAro> they're the usual github windows builder
14:43:06  <TrueBrain> I started with Bamboo ... tried  Jenkins now ... Travis doesnt do Windows ..
14:43:14  <TrueBrain> I guess I can skip on to the next fancy word :P
14:44:09  <TrueBrain> either way, I have a Windows Docker ready which kinda worked
14:44:15  <TrueBrain> biggest issue for Windows was our openttd-useful
14:44:25  <TrueBrain> vspkg helped a lot
14:45:15  <TrueBrain> but .. we are "special", so I had to fix up some stuff :P
14:45:42  <TrueBrain> like vspkg calls it lzma.lib, we call it liblzma.lib
14:46:26  <LordAro> sounds like the buildsystem needs tweaking :p
14:46:36  <TrueBrain> I was more thinking OpenTTD needs tweaking
14:46:46  <TrueBrain> maybe we should throw openttd-useful overboard, and use vspkg
14:47:48  <LordAro> that's what i was going for
14:47:49  *** andythenorth has joined #openttd
14:47:56  <TrueBrain> but currently I run Windows 10 Home, as that was sufficient for my needs .. but Windows Docker needs Windows 10 Pro :P
14:48:06  <LordAro> vspkg sounds like a good idea, pkg systems are always better
14:48:11  <TrueBrain> and the OpenTTD server is not the fastest (still runs spinning disks)
14:48:24  <andythenorth> we have a server? :o
14:48:26  <LordAro> or nuget or chocolatey or similar
14:48:47  <TrueBrain> so I was hoping AWS responded, but they seem to rather ignore emails :)
14:48:53  <andythenorth> like actual hardware? :o
14:49:01  <TrueBrain> yes ..... since 2004 ...
14:49:09  <andythenorth> wow
14:49:20  <andythenorth> getting rid of physical servers was a happy day for me
14:49:22  <TrueBrain> where else do you think stuff like the content service runs?
14:49:52  <TrueBrain> its fully virtualized, so meh
14:49:58  <TrueBrain> you just notice he doesnt have a lot of IOPS
14:50:04  <TrueBrain> and the machine is getting a bit old
14:50:12  <andythenorth> probably not worse than Rackspace public cloud
14:50:38  <andythenorth> public cloud, the product Rackspace most obviously wish they didn't have
14:52:52  <andythenorth> pikka how many engine liveries? o_O
14:54:35  <Pikka> can I say one? :P Maybe a few over time... "retro", "standard", "refurbished"? or are you thinking by cargo and that sort of business?
14:55:08  <andythenorth> I was hoping for one
14:55:18  <Pikka> one is good
14:55:23  <andythenorth> nice and consistent
14:55:33  <andythenorth> I have deleted some mail car liveries
14:55:43  <Pikka> although locos that stick around a long time might want updating, to match more modern locos that come along
14:55:55  <andythenorth> I just replace them with 'upgraded' model on new ID
14:55:58  <andythenorth> with black windows
14:56:01  <andythenorth> I want a new acronym also
14:56:12  <andythenorth> "just because we could doesn't mean we should"
14:56:15  <andythenorth> only snappy
14:56:35  <Pikka> tmwftlb? kiss? :P
14:56:39  <andythenorth> YAGNI
14:56:47  <andythenorth> Regret It Later
14:56:57  <andythenorth> Not A Wise Idea
14:57:29  <andythenorth> You Don't Have To Use All The Spec
14:58:07  <Pikka> because it was there (tm)?
14:58:52  *** Mazur has quit IRC
15:00:40  <andythenorth> BAD
15:00:43  <andythenorth> Because Andy Did
15:01:39  * andythenorth must to stop acronyms
15:09:39  <frosch123> was BANDIT created from BAD and ANDY?
15:15:36  <andythenorth> no
15:15:53  <andythenorth> it's from
15:16:01  <andythenorth> and was reversed acronymed :P
15:16:09  <andythenorth> I had forgotten BANDIT :P
15:16:48  <andythenorth> @seen Wolf01
15:16:48  <DorpsGek> andythenorth: Wolf01 was last seen in #openttd 52 minutes and 18 seconds ago: <Wolf01> Bye
15:17:03  <andythenorth> well who's going to redo the livery UI then? :P
15:31:40  *** tokai|noir has joined #openttd
15:31:41  *** ChanServ sets mode: +v tokai|noir
15:37:34  *** Zexaron has quit IRC
15:38:24  *** tokai has quit IRC
15:38:49  *** Flygon has quit IRC
16:15:34  <andythenorth> @calc 15*16
16:15:34  <DorpsGek> andythenorth: 240
16:16:32  <andythenorth> and another 10 * 16
16:16:40  <andythenorth> not drawing 400 spriterows :P
16:16:42  <andythenorth> automation time
16:22:23  <Pikka> yay automaton
16:23:04  *** Wacko1976 has joined #openttd
16:23:30  <Pikka> is AI automating playing the game? you can just watch it go.
16:23:39  <andythenorth> yes
16:23:45  <andythenorth> can it automate testing newgrf?
16:24:09  <TrueBrain> frosch123: there is not a real way to tell people is no longer the official source, except for shutting it down, I think .. possible just move it to or something
16:24:27  <TrueBrain> the exposure is too low for anyone to pick up it changed
16:24:48  <TrueBrain> I will see if I can insert an echo in some hook to show a banner of some kind
16:24:51  <Pikka> it can automate testing how well it handles the newgrfs...
16:24:53  <TrueBrain> but even that is not really visible
16:24:54  <andythenorth> Pikka: have you automated crashing OpenTTD? o_O
16:24:56  <TrueBrain> something to consider :)
16:25:00  <Pikka> I haven't tried the trains with FIRS yet...
16:25:02  <andythenorth> I crash it a lot, it's work I could automate
16:25:21  <frosch123> TrueBrain: sounds like low priority :p
16:25:29  <Pikka> only with "default zoom screenshot"
16:25:41  <andythenorth> seems to hate the newgrf being changed under it :P
16:25:46  <frosch123> andythenorth: white an ai that tests whether newgrf do unexpected capacity changes when attaching wagons or refitting :p
16:25:47  <TrueBrain> frosch123: depending on your perspective, but ack :)
16:26:28  <andythenorth> frosch123: I would but I have to learn docker :(
16:26:40  <andythenorth> so I can stop using devzone bundles
16:26:48  <andythenorth> :(
16:27:06  <TrueBrain> or tell LordAro to do that for you andythenorth :)
16:27:17  <andythenorth> we need more contributors :D
16:27:26  <andythenorth> they're all playing minecraft or something
16:27:28  <frosch123> TrueBrain: how do you invoke the CI? for every commit, for every push? are there some envvars to figure out hashes before/after?
16:27:46  <TrueBrain> frosch123: atm, I have it on every PR that is being created
16:27:53  <TrueBrain> and on every PR accepted
16:28:26  <TrueBrain> atm a Docker starts with a shallow git checkout of that code
16:28:31  <TrueBrain> what are you looking for exactly here?
16:29:08  <frosch123> currently i have an "update" hook which gets the revision-range from a push and checks all commits for style
16:29:26  <frosch123> not sure how to do the same via the docker-ci
16:29:33  <frosch123> like, how to get the revision range
16:29:43  <TrueBrain> good question honestly
16:29:51  <TrueBrain> it is information that GitHub API sends out
16:29:58  <TrueBrain> but not information the Jenkins plugin returns
16:30:08  <TrueBrain> but if we assume all PRs are rebases
16:30:13  <TrueBrain> and we can just reject any PR that is not
16:30:18  <TrueBrain> it is easy
16:31:18  <frosch123> should i take master..HEAD then?
16:31:40  <TrueBrain> I guess we can make a small CI that checks: is master in tree of HEAD
16:31:46  <TrueBrain> and abort the whole CI if it isnt
16:31:55  <TrueBrain> after that, master..HEAD is indeed the correct way
16:32:35  <TrueBrain> I guess that is fair too .. checking a PR that is not mergable is useless
16:33:15  <TrueBrain> so yeah, lets say that origin/master is available, and HEAD is what-ever we want to validate
16:33:32  <TrueBrain> and origin/master..HEAD is at least available
16:33:39  <TrueBrain> (older history might be missing)
16:35:10  *** Gja has joined #openttd
16:35:16  <TrueBrain> now time for some dinner :)
16:35:33  *** Gja has quit IRC
16:35:56  *** glx has joined #openttd
16:35:56  *** ChanServ sets mode: +v glx
16:40:42  <supermop> quite bored now that i gave up on car transporter
16:40:57  <supermop> maybe i should make some trains
16:41:09  <frosch123> train transporter?
16:42:38  *** Cubey has joined #openttd
16:43:05  <andythenorth> supermop: automate them :P
16:45:49  *** chomwitt has joined #openttd
17:06:17  <LordAro> frosch123: git rev-list origin..HEAD is a list of commits
17:06:44  <frosch123> yes
17:06:51  <frosch123> that was not the question :)
17:07:03  <LordAro> fine :)
17:15:58  *** Mazur has joined #openttd
17:17:15  <Pikka> heyyy
17:17:30  <Pikka> my code in UKRS which disguises the last wagon of an AI train as a brakevan still works
17:17:49  <Pikka> there's bad features for ya
17:18:05  <andythenorth> that is quality
17:18:24  <andythenorth> PDYS
17:18:45  <andythenorth> Pikka Did, You Shouldn't
17:19:01  <Pikka> yes
17:22:37  <LordAro> and have 22245 and 22153 different commits each, respectively.
17:22:39  <LordAro> heh.
17:24:05  <LordAro> interesting
17:36:46  <peter1138> Whew, that was... a ride.
17:38:29  <supermop> pikka, add code to disguise the brakevan of a human train as a AI wagon
17:44:24  *** debdog has quit IRC
17:44:25  <Eddi|zuHause> what happened to the idea to have different liveries for each player?
17:45:05  <supermop> hmm for some reason my browser is closing when trying to paste a copied url into a slack channel
17:48:36  <supermop> Eddi|zuHause: there is stuff in nml to do that
17:48:59  <supermop> i wonder who asked for it
17:49:05  <andythenorth> what if each player could choose a colour? o_O
17:49:09  <supermop> afaik no one has ever used it
17:49:23  <supermop> andythenorth: what if seinfeld was modarn
17:49:32  <LordAro> i've not got rebase --onto to work successfully yet
17:49:51  <LordAro> it seems to just remove commits and use the new tree
17:50:19  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
17:50:28  <Eddi|zuHause> so what's the series of commands i should run to convert my svn checkout of trunk with the official dev branch?
17:51:01  <andythenorth> rm -r [dir]
17:51:02  <LordAro> svn checkout? cd .. && rm -r openttd && git clone
17:51:04  <andythenorth> git clone?
17:51:10  <LordAro> andythenorth: ^5
17:51:15  <andythenorth> ^ yair
18:10:37  *** debdog has joined #openttd
18:10:43  * LordAro used a marginally manual `git cherry-pick oldfork/<branchname>~<n>..oldfork/<branchname>` instead
18:11:40  <Eddi|zuHause> i'm fairly sure i asked that before, but what does "yair" actually mean?
18:13:13  <LordAro> i was taking it as some form of "yeah"
18:14:44  <TrueBrain> so many solutions :P
18:15:39  <LordAro> TrueBrain: i looked at the jenkins, shouldn't it be doing a full build, instead of just with the latest changes?
18:16:08  <TrueBrain> I have no clue how to answer that question
18:16:21  <TrueBrain> do you like apples, or instead a sunny day
18:16:23  <TrueBrain> is what I read
18:16:32  <LordAro> let me try again
18:16:37  <TrueBrain> please :D
18:16:41  <LordAro>
18:16:52  <LordAro> doesn't appear to have actually built ottd
18:16:56  <LordAro> not from scratch
18:17:01  <TrueBrain> no, PRs are not from scratch atm
18:17:11  <TrueBrain> not sure if it matters currently
18:17:30  <TrueBrain> only the first time a PR is built, is a clean build
18:17:37  <LordAro> mm
18:17:41  <TrueBrain> the next push to the same PR reuses the build state
18:17:49  <TrueBrain> but that is by far the smallest problem I am having
18:17:51  <LordAro> i've gotten used to our work build system, which is really rather bad at incremental builds
18:18:10  <TrueBrain> OpenTTD's CI has been doing incrementals for years now
18:18:20  <LordAro> fair
18:18:33  <LordAro> what are the other problems? :D
18:18:52  <TrueBrain> this grid stuff is pretty neat
18:18:57  <TrueBrain> but it is near impossible to configure
18:19:10  <TrueBrain> so it is a trade of no-configuration vs doing what I want
18:19:10  <LordAro> the blue ocean interface?
18:19:15  <TrueBrain> no, the project
18:19:23  <TrueBrain> the project now shows the PRs, how it checked them, etc
18:19:38  <TrueBrain> its a special project type
18:19:40  <TrueBrain> with a nice view
18:20:25  <LordAro> right
18:20:30  *** supermop has quit IRC
18:23:23  <TrueBrain> the other issue I currently have that this supports 1 executor per host at best ... because I have to volume mount to the host on a fixed path
18:23:27  <TrueBrain> which is really really bad design
18:23:57  <TrueBrain> guess if I could volume mount to the current docker, I had less issues
18:23:58  <TrueBrain> hmm
18:25:27  <Pikka> well past ->
18:25:29  *** Pikka has quit IRC
18:25:32  *** supermop has joined #openttd
18:31:07  <peter1138> Come on then, who's going to be the first to commit to the new system? :p
18:31:42  <andythenorth> NRT merge? o_O
18:31:54  <TrueBrain> maybe a bit more realstic? :D
18:32:02  <peter1138> Oh no! Not the R word!
18:32:57  <Eddi|zuHause> someone properly implement pikka's request so AI can choose to build semaphore/light signal?
18:33:23  <peter1138> !
18:33:50  <frosch123> someone could setup .gitattributes :p
18:33:53  <andythenorth> NRT won't merge anyway
18:34:02  <andythenorth> it's out of sync with trunk in a non-trivial way
18:34:09  <Eddi|zuHause> [06.04.18 20:39] <Eddi|zuHause> Pikka (who is not here): with that the AI should now always build semaphores (untested)
18:34:19  <LordAro> remove all the hg/svn specific stuff from the buildsystem
18:34:45  <Eddi|zuHause> people chan pull into a hg repo from a git repo
18:34:58  <peter1138> Yeah but hg is madness
18:34:59  <Eddi|zuHause> so that would be really unwise
18:37:15  <LordAro> yeah, they can
18:37:17  <LordAro> but why would they
18:37:34  <Eddi|zuHause> because?
18:37:43  <LordAro> you can also make an svn checkout from a github repo, fwiw
18:37:44  <Eddi|zuHause> if it's possible, someone will do it
18:38:21  <peter1138> I use cvs.
18:38:23  <Eddi|zuHause> but anyway, why would you remove something that works and needs next to no maintenance?
18:38:38  <TrueBrain> why would you keep it with the chance of it breaking?
18:38:39  <LordAro> because it requires some maintenance?
18:39:08  <TrueBrain> (still shocked OSX code is in OpenTTD :P)
18:39:17  <frosch123> we already have a findversion
18:39:24  <LordAro> besides, i think the version numbering stuff was changing anyway?
18:39:34  <LordAro> for nightlies, at least
18:40:19  <Eddi|zuHause> well, you can't really have incremental build numbers anymore
18:40:27  <TrueBrain> sure you can
18:40:30  <TrueBrain> git describe
18:40:33  <TrueBrain> as long as you tag incremental
18:40:36  <TrueBrain> that value is incremental
18:40:53  <TrueBrain> just a shitload of conflicts with custom binaries
18:41:03  <Eddi|zuHause> yes, but is that reproduceable with separate repos?
18:41:09  <TrueBrain> it is
18:41:17  <Rubidium> and with shallow clones?
18:41:24  <TrueBrain> hell no
18:41:38  <LordAro> ha
18:41:40  <TrueBrain> I never said it was a good idea btw; but just the idea that git doesnt have incremental number is not true
18:41:51  <TrueBrain> the problem is that it is not a globally unique incremental value
18:42:09  <LordAro> it has an incremental number, not the incremental number
18:42:11  <TrueBrain> okay, I can now keep the volumes inside the docker .. so I can run multiple without the chance of breaking shit
18:42:19  <Eddi|zuHause> TrueBrain: yes, i was not questioning the existence of an incremental number, just the practicality
18:42:32  <TrueBrain> its even very practical for nightly builds
18:42:37  <TrueBrain> lot of companies use it for that
18:42:44  <TrueBrain> just you need to apoint a single truth
18:42:50  <LordAro> like github!
18:43:03  <LordAro> what does the D in DVCS stand for, anyway?
18:43:14  <Eddi|zuHause> dumb
18:43:17  <frosch123> distributed
18:43:29  <TrueBrain> more the problem is, the only reason we have the incremental number is for network/savegame conflict resolving, and a bit of (mostly unused ) GRF stuff
18:43:34  <frosch123> hmm, was that a question? it had no emoji
18:43:56  <Eddi|zuHause> we need a blockchain!
18:43:57  <TrueBrain> OMG! WHO ATE THE EMOJI?!
18:44:09  <peter1138> When are we moving to Slack?
18:44:30  <LordAro> 😋
18:44:32  <frosch123> people are asking weird question like what does var42 bit 24 mean all the time...
18:44:32  * andythenorth has been wondering that
18:44:40  <andythenorth> did Slack actually win though?
18:44:44  <frosch123> how would i notice a rhetoric question?
18:44:45  <andythenorth> or did it win like Trello has won?
18:44:50  <TrueBrain> race is still going
18:44:54  <peter1138> I dunno, I've never used slack. Never intend to.
18:44:58  <TrueBrain> Discord is gaining a lot ...
18:44:59  <andythenorth> I haven't tried it, but I'm supposed to
18:45:08  <TrueBrain> HipChat is nearly dead .. stupid atlassian :(
18:45:31  <andythenorth> we are still on irc at work
18:45:35  <TrueBrain> and of course Skype ...... if you want to be sure your conversations are backuped up in some foreign country :P
18:45:43  <andythenorth> and if the updates work
18:45:44  <TrueBrain> I am happy we are no longer on IRC :D
18:45:52  <TrueBrain> I hate missing work conversations because my computer is not on
18:45:56  <frosch123> should we run a custom webex server?
18:46:08  <TrueBrain> waittttttttttt
18:46:18  <frosch123> maybe andy should twitch-stream grf making
18:46:25  <andythenorth> TrueBrain: missing those conversations sounds ideal tbh
18:46:36  <TrueBrain> not if they are work related .. and not the bullshit channels
18:46:38  <LordAro> that seems like what email is for
18:46:39  <andythenorth> the idea of FOMO about work gives me ugh
18:46:42  <TrueBrain> the ones where people make choices :)
18:46:44  <peter1138> Yeah, at work we use email.
18:46:48  <andythenorth> ugh
18:46:57  <andythenorth> if it's not on a ticket it didn't happen
18:46:58  <LordAro> Teams is best chat
18:47:00  <LordAro> clearly
18:47:00  <andythenorth> unless you phoned me
18:47:04  <TrueBrain> email ... havent used email for anything useful in months
18:47:06  <peter1138> heh
18:47:13  <andythenorth> email is for password resets
18:47:15  <andythenorth> that is all
18:47:21  <TrueBrain> yeah, and invite to parties
18:47:35  <frosch123> sounds useful then :p
18:47:37  <peter1138> Ooh when's the party?
18:47:46  <frosch123> tomorrow, your house
18:47:48  <peter1138> Ok
18:47:48  <TrueBrain> in my pants? RIGHT  NOW
18:47:57  <TrueBrain> sorry frosch123, I took a different turn there :P
18:52:29  <LordAro> has anyone thought about minimum compiler versions yet?
18:52:51  <frosch123> yes
18:53:07  <TrueBrain> 12
18:53:47  <LordAro> src/language.h:108:8: error: ‘Collator’ does not name a type; did you mean ‘UCollator’?
18:53:50  <LordAro> well that's new
18:54:40  *** sla_ro|master has quit IRC
18:55:02  <frosch123> anything that supports c++14
18:57:32  <LordAro> that appears to be gcc5, clang3.4
18:57:39  <LordAro> and msvc... as new as you can get
18:58:38  <LordAro> oh, and icc17 :p
18:59:00  <TrueBrain> does OpenTTD support clang? :D
18:59:12  <LordAro> of course
18:59:18  <LordAro> i have to fix warnings occasionally :p
18:59:38  <TrueBrain> hmmm .. guess that should be added to the CI too :)
18:59:59  <TrueBrain> currently it can only do GCC
19:00:05  <TrueBrain> maybe even different dockers .. would make it easier
19:00:09  <TrueBrain> now it iscalled linux-amd64
19:00:17  <TrueBrain> linux-amd64-gcc, linux-clang-gcc?
19:00:27  <TrueBrain> I expect a patch LordAro:
19:00:30  <TrueBrain> make yourself useful! :P
19:00:32  <LordAro> aah
19:00:53  <frosch123> linux-clang-os9x-minmsvc?
19:01:06  <LordAro> oh no
19:01:06  <peter1138> :S
19:01:17  <LordAro> linux-amd64-gcc<n>
19:01:38  <TrueBrain> sounds good to me LordAro
19:02:17  <peter1138> cyrix
19:05:47  <andythenorth> all train roofs are ~same
19:06:06  <andythenorth> let's draw them once, not 720 times
19:06:54  <peter1138> When do we get VR support?
19:07:01  <TrueBrain> once you submit that patch of yours
19:07:05  <peter1138> :D
19:07:15  <TrueBrain> owh, wait, it was on the SSD you lost, right? :P
19:07:21  <peter1138> That's right.
19:13:56  *** Thedarkb has joined #openttd
19:15:23  <TrueBrain> hmm, with this new requirement OpenTTD-CF needs a bit of love :D
19:15:36  <TrueBrain> I can also remove the docker hub autobuild script shit
19:17:24  <frosch123> <- anyone able to edit orudge's post?
19:17:44  <frosch123> ->
19:18:07  <TrueBrain> done
19:18:11  <LordAro> i'd imagine orudge can :p
19:18:56  <peter1138> Apparently I can, when I am logged in.
19:19:09  <frosch123> any other weird stickies?
19:19:59  <frosch123> TrueBrain: even more :)
19:20:09  <glx> there's also the option to add an URL rewrite
19:20:13  <frosch123> who even notices announcements?
19:20:46  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
19:20:53  <TrueBrain> frosch123: done
19:21:05  <TrueBrain> also: first PR!
19:21:16  <frosch123> TrueBrain: also the thread title :)
19:21:43  <TrueBrain> done
19:22:27  <TrueBrain> that was quick glx :P
19:22:31  <glx> hehe
19:22:35  <frosch123> <- probably just remove the stickyness
19:22:37  <TrueBrain> this time it is for real :D
19:22:51  <LordAro> \o/
19:22:54  <TrueBrain> sticky removed
19:23:21  <TrueBrain> just as a general FYI (A PSA!): in Jenkinsfile you can add which CIs it should run
19:23:35  <TrueBrain> they run in parallel .. so dont go overboard .. maybe multiple stages are in order
19:23:51  <TrueBrain> they have to be PUBLIC docker files .. but soon I will make OpenTTD-CF auto-compile and publish :)
19:23:59  <LordAro> how are PRs merged?
19:24:16  <glx> by pushing a button
19:24:24  <TrueBrain> :D Ty glx :D
19:24:44  <TrueBrain> and FF only
19:24:53  <peter1138> firefox? yay
19:27:41  <frosch123> oi, this jenkins indeed looks way different than those i know
19:28:09  <TrueBrain> click Blue Ocean :)
19:28:19  <TrueBrain> ITS SO PRETTY
19:29:04  <TrueBrain> any problem if I merge this?
19:29:13  <frosch123> looks fine
19:29:27  <TrueBrain> FIRST
19:29:51  <TrueBrain> I did get the comment message right btw, not?
19:29:59  <frosch123> yes, i checked that :)
19:30:06  <TrueBrain> :D
19:30:09  <frosch123> only thing i knew about
19:30:13  <TrueBrain> okay, now I pushed it also validates that what I pushed is still valid
19:30:15  <TrueBrain> nice
19:30:31  <peter1138> You committed it 14 days ago, woo
19:31:05  <TrueBrain> owh .. yeah ... :D
19:31:10  <TrueBrain> that were a lot of ammends :D
19:31:13  <TrueBrain> ammmmeeenndddddssss
19:31:24  <TrueBrain> funny that it picks that date
19:32:12  <TrueBrain> that is going to happen a lot btw
19:32:22  <TrueBrain> especially because we are not doing merge commits
19:32:35  <TrueBrain> (you also now dont see which PR caused this commit)
19:32:47  <TrueBrain> owh, you do if you click it
19:33:38  <TrueBrain> it is either this or a merge commit for every PR ..
19:35:20  <LordAro> merge commit for every pr isn't the worst thing in the world
19:35:28  <TrueBrain> just unneeded text :)
19:35:28  <LordAro> commits are cheap now :p
19:35:38  <TrueBrain> looking at other projects .. not many do merge commits
19:35:46  <TrueBrain> but a lot also use bots to condense pushes
19:35:49  <peter1138> No, I'm charging 50p per commit.
19:35:59  <frosch123> hmm, where does it show the pr?
19:36:05  <frosch123> also why is that important?
19:36:05  <TrueBrain> click the commit
19:36:08  <TrueBrain> says master (#number)
19:36:22  <TrueBrain> always nice to jump back to the conversation leading up to the commit
19:36:25  <peter1138> Vaguely. It's the number, but doesn't actually say that that is a PR.
19:36:45  <frosch123> we could ammed the commit message?
19:36:55  *** muffindrake2 has quit IRC
19:37:32  <TrueBrain> you dont know the PR till you made the PR
19:37:43  <frosch123> yeah, a bit chicken/egg
19:38:01  <TrueBrain> but like I said, I only care about that number if I want to know what leads up to that commit
19:38:04  <TrueBrain> and the information is there
19:38:14  <peter1138> Woo, installed Blue Coean.
19:38:18  <peter1138> And Blue Ocean.
19:38:35  <peter1138> Separate link, weird :p
19:38:49  <TrueBrain> I am looking at CPython .. they make a PR without the number in the commit message
19:38:52  <TrueBrain> but when they merge, it is there
19:39:47  <frosch123> it is on github, but not in the repository
19:42:17  <TrueBrain> CPython does this .. but how .. hmm
19:42:23  <TrueBrain> nowhere in the PR is the PR number
19:42:25  <TrueBrain> but as soon as they merge
19:42:27  <TrueBrain> it is there
19:42:47  <frosch123> a bot adds it to all
19:42:55  <frosch123> <- it's on every commit
19:43:04  <TrueBrain> yes, but how .. as the author merges
19:43:07  <TrueBrain> so when does the bot do this
19:44:19  <frosch123> it looks like people add "CLA signed" label
19:44:25  <frosch123> and then some bot does the merge
19:45:37  <frosch123>
19:45:43  <TrueBrain> yeah, was just looing in the source
19:46:20  <TrueBrain> basically, they work around GitHub :D
19:47:48  <TrueBrain> they switched to GH-
19:47:54  <TrueBrain> their bot even reminds peopple about it :D
19:49:25  <frosch123> probably because they need to distinguish from
19:49:26  <TrueBrain> CLA is the permission thingy
19:51:09  <TrueBrain> they really have a few bots :D
19:52:09  <frosch123> so, should the ci amend all commit messages and merge after succesful CI?
19:54:36  <TrueBrain> still havent found where it happens
19:55:07  <TrueBrain> so many "fun" things in their code :P
19:55:10  <TrueBrain> randomizers and everything
19:57:26  <LordAro> frosch123: seems like a bad idea, imo
19:57:53  <LordAro> you also get commits signed by gpg keys, i'd imagine this would break such things
19:58:12  <TrueBrain> yet other big projects do this
20:00:16  <TrueBrain> ah
20:00:18  <TrueBrain> squashing
20:00:20  <TrueBrain> ofc
20:00:27  <TrueBrain> and when you squash, it asks for the commit message
20:01:15  <TrueBrain> so that is just a matter of telling all devs to do that :D
20:03:41  <frosch123> ow, i misjudged
20:03:51  <frosch123> the "CLA signed" label is actually from a bot
20:03:56  <TrueBrain> yes
20:04:05  <TrueBrain> to indicate the person has signed the license agreement
20:04:15  <TrueBrain> all their bots have a theme :P
20:04:57  <frosch123> all by brian
20:07:18  <TrueBrain> yes, it is part of their squashing
20:07:27  <peter1138> contributor license agreement?
20:07:32  *** muffindrake has joined #openttd
20:07:44  <TrueBrain> it seems that if you squash, by default it adds the (#123)
20:08:15  <frosch123> squashing is weird to me
20:08:18  <TrueBrain> that kinda forces small contributions :)
20:08:20  <frosch123> why would you do that?
20:08:25  <TrueBrain> it is really really useful tbh
20:08:32  <TrueBrain> it is like: I make 2 commits that are one thing
20:08:34  <TrueBrain> now I see a mistake
20:08:36  <TrueBrain> and I make a new commit
20:08:40  <TrueBrain> so you can see what I changed, as reviewer
20:08:43  <TrueBrain> you give comments
20:08:46  <TrueBrain> I make a commit to fix it
20:08:47  <TrueBrain> etc
20:08:54  <TrueBrain> then when we all agree it is perfect
20:08:57  <TrueBrain> squash, and done
20:09:04  <TrueBrain> amending is a bit evil
20:09:13  <TrueBrain> gerrit is one of the only systems I know that can display diffs of amends
20:09:19  <TrueBrain> (but gerrit is special :P)
20:13:22  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
20:15:36  <TrueBrain> frosch123: the current method requires force pushes btw, which in general is also not that awsome to use in git :)
20:15:43  <TrueBrain> but you can just look over time what you like best
20:16:19  <TrueBrain> well, if you want the PR number in the commit message, I currently dont have a solution for the rebase tactic
20:16:40  <TrueBrain> as a bot cannot change the commit message in the PR, and I cannot find a hook that runs during the merge
20:19:22  <TrueBrain> well, happy with the result so far :)
20:21:18  <Thedarkb> How do I kick a player from the console?
20:21:29  <TrueBrain> with a bat, I imagine
20:21:38  <frosch123> listclients or something
20:21:46  <frosch123> then kick with the number
20:21:49  <TrueBrain> that doesnt hurt a physical person
20:22:15  <andythenorth> multiplayer :
20:22:21  <Thedarkb> I typed "rcon <password> kick <clientid>"
20:22:26  <Thedarkb> and that won't work
20:22:30  <andythenorth> specifically, public multiplayer :P
20:22:41  <andythenorth> that would only seem like a good idea to people who haven't met people
20:23:10  <Thedarkb> I'm playing in a semi public multiplayer
20:23:24  <TrueBrain> that sounds very .. dubious ..
20:23:31  <TrueBrain> only people who are N high?
20:23:36  <andythenorth> my kids keep trying to play public MP games
20:23:40  <Thedarkb> semi public = It's a server dedicated to a Discord I'm in.
20:23:42  <TrueBrain> only people who's IP ends with a 1?
20:24:09  <andythenorth> lots of MP casual games are predator's dream playground
20:24:21  *** synchris_ has quit IRC
20:24:22  <andythenorth> no filters, no checks
20:24:28  <andythenorth> unrestricted DMs
20:24:57  <TrueBrain> Dungeon Masters?
20:25:01  <andythenorth> direct messages
20:25:08  <TrueBrain> only twitter uses those :P
20:25:18  <andythenorth> and some casual games
20:25:23  <TrueBrain> I like how they are not calling it "private messages"
20:25:27  <Thedarkb> I used to play Quake when I was a kid and nobody predated on me.
20:25:30  <TrueBrain> I mean.. makes you wonder .. why direct, and not private ..
20:25:37  <TrueBrain> are they not .. private? *tinfoilhat*
20:25:40  <andythenorth> omg
20:25:51  <andythenorth> they're not private????? :o
20:25:59  <TrueBrain> that is the suggestion I take away from that :D
20:26:08  <andythenorth> you mean the platform might be data minging them?
20:26:11  <TrueBrain> I am sure enough privates go over direct messaging
20:26:13  <TrueBrain> but that is another issue
20:26:39  <andythenorth> anyway I keep banning my kids from games
20:26:43  <andythenorth> but it's a losing battle
20:26:55  <TrueBrain> better teach them to understand what is going on ;)
20:27:01  <andythenorth> that's what I figured
20:27:14  <TrueBrain> so it is time for "THE TALK"
20:27:15  <Thedarkb> ^^^
20:27:25  <andythenorth> talk happened multiple times
20:27:35  <andythenorth> but then they go play games where other player nicks are 'fuck off' or 'big cock'
20:27:40  <Thedarkb> Lol
20:27:46  <Thedarkb> So they're playing with other kids then.
20:27:56  <andythenorth> likely
20:28:08  <andythenorth> I quit playing world of tanks due to the DMs
20:28:45  * andythenorth back to drawing
20:32:27  <peter1138> Does rcon still need extra quotes?
20:33:28  <TrueBrain> frosch123: #123 or GH-123 ?
20:33:37  <frosch123> #123
20:34:25  <Thedarkb> I get "usage kick:<ip | client-id>"
20:34:54  <frosch123> rcon <pw> "kick id"
20:36:17  <ST2>
20:36:28  <ST2> always look better on buttons xD
20:36:42  <TrueBrain> frosch123: #6649 is a nice example what is very nice to have different commits for review, but squashing would be a lot better once accepted
20:47:39  <TrueBrain> right; time for some well deserved sleep :) Good night!
20:50:01  <andythenorth> also
20:50:06  <andythenorth> bye
20:50:07  *** andythenorth has quit IRC
20:52:21  *** Thedarkb has quit IRC
21:01:22  <supermop> i wonder if i can get some japanese construction worker coveralls sent here
21:08:24  *** Gja has joined #openttd
21:11:33  <supermop> apparently i never had a 1.7.x version installed
21:13:06  *** sla_ro|master has joined #openttd
21:14:52  <supermop> hmmm no steeltown servers
21:20:41  *** Supercheese has quit IRC
21:20:58  *** Supercheese has joined #openttd
21:21:46  *** FLHerne has joined #openttd
21:30:09  *** Thedarkb has joined #openttd
21:30:46  *** frosch123 has quit IRC
22:04:06  *** Thedarkb has quit IRC
22:24:06  *** ToffeeYogurtPots_ has quit IRC
22:29:49  <HeyCitizen> does anyone know how I can get refit at station working with 2cc trainset?
22:45:12  *** Wormnest_ has quit IRC
22:50:50  *** FLHerne has quit IRC
23:00:40  <LordAro> ooh, i could make a pull request
23:16:14  *** sla_ro|master has quit IRC
23:18:51  *** iSoSyS has quit IRC
23:22:56  *** Progman has quit IRC
23:36:26  *** gelignite has joined #openttd
23:42:21  *** GT has joined #openttd
23:50:03  *** GT has quit IRC

Powered by YARRSTE version: svn-trunk